Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My First Case at OTSE




                Over the summer of 2013 I was given the opportunity to work for OTSE (Ohioans To Stop Executions,otse.org) as an intern. This was probably one of the most lucrative experiences I have had and taught me so much about the death penalty in Ohio. I worked mostly in the office entering data and constructing the Year-end report with the other two interns. The Year-end Report that we put together displayed so much of the facts and information that we had gathered in opposition to the death penalty. I mainly focused on the people currently on death row and racial biases. Although, this was where the majority of my time was spent I also got to leave the office and work hands on at two festivals encouraging people to sign petitions for the clemency of Billy Slagle.
                Billy Slagle was due to be executed on August 7th, 2013. This was the first case I had ever worked on and became actively involved in promoting his clemency (life without parole instead of death). The two festivals I worked we gained an enormous amount of signatures and support in favor of clemency for Billy Slagle. As his execution approached I attended his clemency hearing in front of the parole board. I got to meet his family and see his amazing lawyers fight for Billy and his case. One amazing thing happened at his hearing; in which the prosecutor who initially tried Billy showed support for clemency. This was due to the fact there was no life without parole option when Billy was first tried.
                There was support for and against Billy as the parole board returned with a verdict of 5-4 against clemency. This was only a recommendation to the governor who gets the final verdict. Governor Kasich returned with support against clemency and Billy’s execution date drew near. I was supposed to be present on that Wednesday morning for a candlelight vigil, however, Billy Slagle was found dead in his cell August 4th. This was mere hours before the suicide watch was supposed to begin.
                This is one of the cases that will always stick in my mind and have motivated me to continue studying criminal justice. There were many issues surrounding Billy Slagle’s case; ultimately a man died and another family is grieving a loss. This case has promoted me to try my hardest to get into a law school and further my education so that I can help those people on death row. Some are proven guilty; although in my view I do not believe all deserve the death penalty for their crimes, the Slagle case is a perfect example. Billy Slagle had not done a violent thing in prison after the murder in which there was not any doubt of guilt. It shows that in some instances the death penalty is not a cookie cutter punishment that all/any murderer deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment