Wednesday, December 4, 2013

How the Death Penalty Changed Me and How I Hope to Change the Death Penalty.

I started out like many people, not knowing that there was a death penalty in Ohio (even the US for that matter). If someone would have walked up to me and asked, “Do you support the death penalty?” my answer would have more than likely been a, “yes”. I entered college thinking I was going to be a teacher, but oh so quickly my major changed. I took an Introduction to Criminal Justice class and found what I wanted to do with my life. I started out like many others believing that I supported the death penalty, in instances where a heinous crime has been committed. However, gradually as I went through these classes I found that the death penalty wasn't something that I felt was necessary; in fact I became opposed to it.
                When I entered the Death Penalty class my junior year of college I raised my hand as the only person who did not support the death penalty. I did not fully understand why I was against it, but I just kept feeling as though facts did not add up properly. I thought of all the corruption in the Criminal Justice system that I had learned about through various classes and wondered if the death penalty would too be affected by the corruption. Throughout the class, I learned many facts about the death penalty and came to realize this was a cause that I wanted to advocate. I learned of all the issues surrounding the death penalty and could now back up my opposition for the death penalty with facts.

                I still encourage all people to have opinions on the death penalty, even if they differ from mine. The only argument I ever make is that these opinions should be based off legitimate facts. Letting go of my previous thoughts of the death penalty and adopting new, has truly made me realize what I support. I have had the amazing opportunity to work with OTSE (Ohioans To Stop Executions) and meet men whom were exonerated after spending years on death row. These experiences have changed my view on so many things and sculpted me into a more compassionate person. I know that my opinions will differ from many, although I have formulated them through research of the death penalty in Ohio. My blog is facts that I have gathered from research, most of which is available to the public. Nothing on here is meant to offend anyone, in any way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment